Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Bold Challenge

Ok...I am officially putting this out there, for everyone to see, to challenge me and hopefully be challenged. Big faith happening here...

Deep breath...here we go.

I am going to go 3,000 miles. One more time...3,000 miles.

According to Google, Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti, is 3,334 miles from Yakima, Washington, where we live. Initially this idea was birthed when Trevor and I were brainstorming about fundraising opportunities. Let's just be honest, 3,000 sounded better than 3,334 Miles From My Heart. Anyway, we were talking about organizing a 5k run/walk and then I probably Trevor proposed the idea of running the distance from Yakima to Haiti. Hence, 3,000 Miles From My Heart was born.

We liked the idea because physically the children are 3,000 miles away from us. The flip side is that I am commiting to run 3,000 miles to bring kiddos home. So every mile, every step is coming from my heart to have a crazy impact on two little boys. The idea is to get every single one of those miles sponsored for $10/mile.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a runner. Hear me on this people, I am not a runner. I make pitiful attempts at running. I've had an ever elusive half marathon that I have trained for 3 different times. The first two times we moved and the third time Luke was in the hospital. Hopefully this year I can cross that finish line.

So here is the deal. We are totally being humbled by this whole process. Financially we don't know how this is going to work. Eugene Cho says "God has a long and proven history of using foolish and broken people for His glory". This is totally us. We are broken, humbled, and inadequate. But...we are willing. This is most likely the hardest thing we will ever do physically, emotionally and spiritually.

I need help. I need help, plain and simple.  No other way to say it. I need help.

I need people to sponsor miles. I need people to be moved in a way that is beyond what I perceive as the realm of possibility. I need people to push me through every mile. I need people to motivate me, to say "Every mile you run is one mile closer to bringing your kids home".

I need people to go the distance. I need people to stand in the gap. I need people to realize it really does take a village.  For real, I don't know how physically possible it will be for me to run that far. If I were to do it in a year that would mean over 8 miles/day. This doesn't count for rain days, sick days or injury.

So you can't afford to sponsor any miles...can you walk? Can you bike, swim, paddle, basically do anything physically possible to go a mile? Could you cover some of my miles? Do you know friends, family, coworkers, small groups, fellow runners that would be willing to sponsor YOU to help bring two boys home from Haiti?

So it's not just Trev and I but YOU can make a difference.  You can save a life. You can give hope. You can raise two babes out of despair and give them a future. You can be a part of this ragtag outfit of brokenness and join us on this epic journey.

I start running on March 1. Will you help me?  Will you accept my challenge? Will you go 3,000 miles with me?

If you would like to sponsor miles there is a Paypal donate button on the right hand side of the blog. You will have to go to the web version to see it. It isn't available on the mobile version of the blog. You can do this by scrolling down to the very bottom and clicking on "view web version". If you would like to run/walk/bike/etc any of my miles please contact me. You can text, email, FB, or leave a comment and I will get with you. We have already had a huge outpouring of support and encouragement. We would love for you to share this page to help us get the word out.

Our journey is just beginning.

"The hardest part of starting a new journey is taking a leap of faith right at the beginning"
- unknown

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could give, but right now what I can do is walk and hopefully get up to running again.

    contact me at signing_charity at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete